Helpful Self Storage and Moving Tips
Moving? New to Self Storage? Here are some self storage tips to make your job easier courtesy of Mars-Evans City Self Storage.
- All items required for packing, moving & storing your belongings are available for purchase at Mars-Evans City Self Storage office. Visit our moving and storage supplies page for more info.
- Plan your storage space. Place those items that you may need to access often near the door.
- Leave a walkway to the rear of the unit for better accessibility.
- Label your cartons and take home a list of the labeled cartons for easy reference. (Labels can be purchased at the office.)
- Caution: Do not store anything combustible (i.e. paint, thinner, gasoline, solvents, etc.)
- Fill boxes and containers to capacity - partially full or bulging cartons may tip or collapse.
- Use uniform-sized boxes for easy stacking. Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 24 to 30 pounds.
- Take full advantage of your space - use the full height if possible.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside one another.
- Tables having removable legs should be "broken down" to save space.
- If you stand mattresses on their side, prop them up so they stand straight. They may tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy. (Mattress covers are available at the office.)
- Sofas and love seats can be stored on end to save space. Cushions should be wrapped in plastic and placed on top. Sofa covers are available at the office.
- Use a good quality lock on your door. Inexpensive locks rust and do not provide good security.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors slightly ajar and clean before storing, Use the space inside for extra storage of other kitchen items.
- Add bay leaves to boxes when packing goods to ward off most insects.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures with paper pads or use mirror boxes. Never store flat.
- Use wardrobe boxes to store clothes. Hanging your clothes in the wardrobe boxes will keep them in good condition.
- Seal boxes completely with packing tape to keep dust out.
- Pack books and heavy objects in smaller boxes for easier lifting.